Thursday, February 8, 2024

When Will I Ever Learn?

 I don't know whether this comes under the heading of "learned behavior" or dumb old habits, but...

There's this lamp, see? It sits on the little table to the right of my desk. And the lamp switch went bad. This made the third lamp switch I've had to replace around here in the past couple of years. They don't make 'em the way they useta.


But the old switch was the kind that you turn between thumb and forefinger. The new one is better, to my mind - push to the left and it works (a parable for modern politics, as well) and push it to the right and it goes off.

I know this, I chose that type of switch to be easier on my arthritic fingers, and I'm the one who put the switch on the doggone lamp! So the question is, why is it that every time I go to turn the lamp on or off, I try to twirl that switch bar like in the old days?

I'll get back to you on this vital issue before us.

1 comment:

Richard Foard said...

So I suppose, strictly speaking, you can no longer "turn" the light on and off. But then, most of us haven't turned a light on or off since we stopped using gas jets and oil lamps.