Thursday, June 29, 2023

The Awful Contest

What's on my mind today is the winner of the recent "World's Ugliest Dog" contest. I'm not going to show you the picture of the winner. I know the poor canine went on the rounds of the morning news shows as the Hodas and the Gayles and the Georges and I don't know who-all else clucked over him/her and made bad jokes and people laughed. 

But it's not funny, I don't think.

What possesses otherwise good-hearted people to hold such a contest and hold an animal up to ridicule? The "winner" is probably a family pet somewhere and I will go so far as to wager he/she has been a good pooch, greeting family members with tail wagging when they come home, barking goodbye when they leave for school, coming in tight for hugs and nuzzles, and after all that, the family holds up their family member for scorn and humiliation, just for the chance to be on the TODAY Show, for crying out loud? 

Every living thing deserves love, not derision.


And somewhere, for every pet that people call ugly, there is a child wishing for a doggie to have and hold and love.

I hope they find each other.

No comments: