Thursday, October 24, 2019

Enough of this

You know, there always has to be some jackanapes to ruin things for everyone.

The Houston Astros are just about universally recognized as baseball's best team, and here they are in the World Series, and some assistant general manager has to go and make horrible remarks and toss leftover garbage in the punchbowl.

What happened was, Astros assistant general manager Brandon Taubman shouted “Thank God we got Osuna!” (expletives deleted) while ranting toward a small group of female journalists.

"Osuna" is Roberto Osuna, a rather good relief pitcher who had to leave his job with the Toronto Blue Jays following unsubstantiated claims that he committed domestic violence. He was not charged criminally, but Major League Baseball suspended him for 75 games and the Blue Jays cut him loose. The Astros were only too glad to take him on their roster.

On Saturday evening, Osuna actually gave up a game-tieing home run before the Astros eventually won the game that clinched the pennant. In the celebration that followed the win, Taubman chose to launch his foul diatribe toward the women. He said the purpose of this was to support his pitcher following a rough outing.

When Sports Illustrated writer Stephanie Apstein, one of the witnesses to the outburst, wrote about what Taubman had said, the Astros denied that it happened, only to have to "walk that back" in current parlance and finally admit that they have an ass't G.M. who is an ass.

Then here comes the part that cheeses me: this apology that wasn't really an apology...Taubman's attempt to close the barn door.

Taubman
“In retrospect, I realize that my comments were unprofessional and inappropriate. My overexuberance in support of a player has been misinterpreted as a demonstration of a regressive attitude about an important social issue. Those that know me know that I am a progressive and charitable member of the community, and a loving and committed husband and father. I hope that those who do not know me understand that the Sports Illustrated article does not reflect who I am or my values. I am sorry if anyone was offended by my actions.”

Friends, any time someone couches their "apology" by saying they are sorry IF you were offended, they are not really in touch with your feelings, and therefore, they aren't apologizing. And please notice that this man even finds a way to salute himself for his progressive and charitable ways!

I'm certain that Major League Baseball will take action, and there will be fines levied and suspensions assessed and handwringing and clutching of pearls by Taubman and his associates.

What I'm sorry for is that there are people who don't know that domestic violence is so monstrous and hideous that people who commit acts of it do not deserve to be encouraged, but I don't know what will teach them.

No comments: