Saturday, December 15, 2018

The Saturday Picture Show, December 15, 2018

 "Hey, Leon! Who's been fooling around with the label maker again?"
Kind of harsh, but some hovering helicopter dads need to hear this. Do not show up at kids' games and holler at anyone - the players, the coaches, the umpires. I'm sure that if you'll look deeply into the people who do go to the games and make patooties of themselves, you'll see people whose athletic exploits in their own days fell far short of glory.
There is no way to dislike any cool old classic Christmas decorations like this.
But still, using jolly old St. Nick to sell carbonated sugar beverages might be a bit over the line, then and now.
I love fruitcake and if you get one and don't want it, let me know and I'll swing by and take it off your hands.  Or off your porch, whatever.
The bird on the left is a model of Quetzalcoatlus northropi, the largest flying animal ever to exist, and I'm glad he was around a long time ago. The dude standing there just for comparison's sake is just under 6 feet tall. Their descendants, the quetzal, still thrive in humid countries in South America, and until someone can prove to me that they are not nearly this size, I'm not going there.
There is nothing more Baltimore than a Christmas card from John Waters with a picture of someone else (Steve Buscemi) pretending to be John Waters.
Here is an original jersey from the 1962-1963 Baltimore Clippers hockey team, an American Hockey league farm team for the New York Rangers. I was 11 and my buddies and I could ride the bus to downtown Baltimore on weekend nights and see the games and ride the bus home without the slightest worry about being waylaid by hooligans. Those days are long gone, just like the Clippers.

No comments: