Monday, February 12, 2024

The original title of The Beatles movie "A Hard Day's Night" was "8 Arms To Hold You."

I knew a guy who found amusement by opening two random pages in a dictionary and pointing to two words. The goal was to use them both in a sentence. I think that was what Steve Martin was doing all those years ago when he said, "I just can't shake this feeling that robots are stealing my luggage."

Things that don't go together...such as, let's say, an octopus stealing your camera.

From Jervis Bay, on the coast of New South Wales in southeastern Australia, comes word that a diver there had to fight with an octopus over his GoPro camera.

Apparently, you can go to the "Jervis Bay Through My Eyes" Facebook page, run by Maree Clout, and in so doing, join the 1.2 million people who have seen this underwater drama spool out.

Clout and her squad were tooling around, snorkeling in the Bay, when an "unusual" event occured:  

"A young guy appeared next to us and when I asked him if he was OK, he replied that he needed our help. I had all sorts of dilemmas go through my mind. I asked him what was wrong and his reply was, 'An octopus took my camera.' He took us to where he last saw his camera and sure enough...there was the eight-armed 'robber' with each of them tightly wrapped around the GoPro," Clout said.



Good Samaritan Cloud dove down and tried to grab the handle of the camera as a friend rolled video of the struggle. But the octopus was not going to make it easy.

"He really didn't want to let it go, so I had no choice to lift the GoPro up.. with [the octopus] on it. Man, he was heavy! I wiggled the camera sideways a few times and he reluctantly let go," Clout said. "Poor occy made his way back to his girlfriend on the rock and sulked lol."

Here I have lived all these years, never knowing that octopuses are nicknamed "occys." 

Anyhow, Clout says she loves those eight-armed critters and was not fearful of not getting the camera back, because, "If we give them a little gift, usually a shell, they will immediately reach out their tentacles to grab it."

Now back to life on dry land!

  

No comments: