Saturday, January 29, 2022

The Saturday Picture Show, January 29, 2022

 

My suggestion for Elizabeth, had I been alive in 1886 (and no, I was not!) would have been to spend more time making friends and less time stitching. I know it was more or less required for young ladies to make samplers like this, but Elizabeth was an early rebel!
This image was required by law to be affixed to every surface in America between 1967 and 1976, when it was replaced by a picture of dogs playing poker.
If you have a garden, you'll find turtles nipping away at your corn and tomatoes. In the Galapagos Islands, these giant tortoises eat higher on the food chain.
As a former clerk at the A&P Food Stores around town, I ground many a bag of Bokar or Red Circle or Eight O'Clock. My secret was, I swiped a bean out of every bag and popped it in my mouth like a caffeine LifeSaver. Tasty!
How come these sheaves of straw remind me of furled beach umbrellas?
This is art from the school known as "Trompe-l'œil" - French for "Deceive The Eye." It's a lot cheaper to paint on a fake addition than to build a real addition. Remember that: "Trompe" means to deceive. Gotcha.
This example of stupidity took place in Yosemite National Park. I know, that sign means for everyone else not to enter.
Nice quote from Richard Wagner, the German composer known for the heavy, ponderous music drama operas he composed. He called his style "Gesamtkunstwerk," which is German for "you can't dance to it."
No Coke. Pepsi. New York, 1963.
Even this seahorse knows enough to take a mask with him! Greek Isles, 2022.

1 comment:

Andy Blenko said...

The smell in the coffee aisle at A&P was simply amazing!