Monday, May 26, 2008

I rate the fours!

It all started earlier today when I told Peggy that of the entire cast of "I Love Lucy,'' I found Lucy to be the least amusing. And then she told me how for years, the antics of Lucy have left her convulsed. This might be some sort of Rorschach test: what does it say when I rank the cast of "I L L" in this order of how-they-made-me-laugh?

#1 - Fred Mertz
#2 - Ricky Ricardo
#3 - Ethel Mertz
#4 - Lucy Ricardo

And I'm not about to say that Lucy wasn't funny. Just not as funny as gruff old Fred, exasperated Ricky or frumpy Ethel.

Beatles, you say? All right, then:
#1 - John Lennon
#2 - Ringo Starr
#3 - George Harrison
#4 - Paul McCartney

I don't think there is any question that John Lennon is tops. And who couldn't love Ringo, with his (as Tom Wolfe called it) "curious backwater adenoidal voice" ? And when Lennon was killed, George Harrison wrote "All Those Years Ago" and said he always looked up to John. Mr. McCartney, eyebrows hoisted, said "It's a drag, innit?" when asked about his late partner.

Ask me to rank the four seasons, and of course Frankie Valli is the top. But if we're talking solstices and equinoxes, please give me

#1 - Fall
#2 - Winter
#3 - Spring
#4 - Summer

I love the fall colors and the fact that fall leads to winter, which, although noticeably short on snow around here for the past several years, at least has bone-chilling cold going for it. Spring means pollen, and as soon as you get finished sneezing and infusing eye drops, better go get your shorts and your t-shirts out. Spring leads to summer as inevitably as July 4th means another Will Smith blockbuster is coming to the Googolplex.

5 comments:

Ralph said...

Lucy: I do like the Fred and Ethel characters because they got the best lines (Ethel to Fred in a restaurant in France after Fred boasted of his knowledge of French: "They don't serve hinky-dinky parlez-vous here, Fred.") You have to have a taste for physical humor to like Lucy a lot. I have to admit I never laughed so hard as the first time I saw her light her fake nose with a cigarette lighter and then put it out in her coffee cup, all as if nothing was amiss.

Beatles: they're all good in their own ways and I could never choose a favorite.

Seasons: Fall, followed by spring, then summer, then winter.

This was fun!

Ralph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Well, I still think Lucy was the funniest of them all! She always made me laugh. As for the seasons, I agree with your order. Although you can't beat spring and fall for the colors. Lovely!

Kat said...

Mark,
Here's where we differ. I could never put Ethel or Ricky as funnier than Lucy. Ricky wasn't, to me, funny by himself. He needed Lucy. Ethel too needed either Lucy or Fred to make her funny. I'll pick Lucy first and Fred second.

I with you on the Lennon, but the rest are a toss-up though I am included to put Ringo's voice last but his personality second. He was a funny guy.

Around here the autumn is beyond gorgeous so it tops the list. I'd then go with winter, summer and spring. Here on the Cape, we have no spring to speak of, just a warmer continuation of winter.

Mark said...

Kat - so we differ on Red Sox/O's, Patriots/Ravens, Lucy/Ricky...we agree on the important things in life: friendship, kindness, honesty.

Thanks for sharing all of them with me!

Mark