Thursday, October 4, 2007

Gridlock


Thursday afternoon in Towson, MD. I took the afternoon off to go the hospital where Mom has been for two weeks. She will be released in a week, and the rehab staff and the physical therapist wanted to talk to me and my sister Robin about what Mom will need once she's home. Robin is excellent at keeping track of doctors and medications and the who-needs-to-do what of Momcare. It's going to take a combination of family members and outside helpers to care for Mom until she's over this broken back that has had her down since July.


Anyway, I get to the intersection of Towsontown Bl and York Rd. York Rd is the main drag through Towson, our county seat. You can take York Rd all the way into Baltimore City, but wise motorists go the other way and take it all the way to York PA.


As it happens, some of the motorists I saw were not particularly wise. There was some sort of road work going on south of where I was trying to cross over York Rd, and some people seemed intent on setting a record for most cars locked in a gridlock. There were five cars sitting in the intersection - the very intersection that my eastbound friends and I all wished to cross. Our light turned green, but we could not proceed because of the five gridlocked cars.


Now, anyone who has been driving for more than a week or two has probably been in one of these situations, either as the gridlocker or as the gridlockee. I enjoyed sitting there, knowing that even for as long as the light was green for us, we weren't going to move. In the past, I might have opened my window and hollered invectives at the inconsiderate mopes who were blocking us. Not any more! I sat and thought about how many times I had gone through that intersection: some good memories, some not so sweet. I used to take that way home from shifts at 911, and it was so good to be going home.


And I enjoyed watching the reactions of the people in the cars that blocked the road. Two of them were occupied by business-type guys, men with ties and things on their minds. I figured they were looking ahead down the road with that "if I stare straight ahead, I won't have to see anyone looking daggers at me" look. One car, I can't tell you who was driving; they had the windows so dark. One car had two couples- some people in their 70's, it seemed to me - and they were just having a fit at the very idea of causing people to be angry with them. You could see the man in the back seat - wearing one of those Guayabera dress shirts that also could be a jacket in a pinch, that he must have ordered from an ad in PARADE magazine one slow Sunday - waggling his finger, jawing at the driver, telling him to zig over here and zag over there and just get out the way! But the driver paid him no mind.


Another driver paying no mind was a young man whose very being defined "cool." First tipoff: he had his seat back in such a reclining position that he really appeared to be in a La-Z-Boy recliner. I mean really, he was perfectly positioned for a nap, or a colonoscopy. Second, he was flapping his gums on his cell phone. Third, he positioned his eyelids to such a low point over his peepers that the road ahead could only have been an itty-bitty little slit. Perhaps that's why he kept on sliding through the intersection even as it became obvious that the highly polished rear end of his car would stick way out in the road. He did not care. His countenance told us that we should all feel fortunate to be on the same road as he.


Somewhere down the road, all of us will have the chance to be trapped in an embarrassing situation - one more or less of our own making. We can only hope to get through it with grace and humor, and without being seen wearing one of those Guayabera shirts. That would just make it awful.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this made my day! Absolutely hysterical.

Anonymous said...

Try driving a Big Brown Truck in front of Wegman's at any time of the day! I used to write a blog on Myspace back when i had more time, but "someone" told me it might be a bit too crass for your liking...Jeff

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Bob & I were stuck in that very same traffic at that very same intersection this afternoon! I'd like to say we handled it with truly regal manners like you did, but we were late for a very important haircut appointment, and so handled it a little more like drunken sailors (I was at the wheel and led the battle cry).

Keep on blogging, my friend. Your writing is a very special gift; you are talented to say the least!

xoxo

Meg said...

Thanks for my daily laugh, Mark!

Kat said...

Mark,
It's a pleasure to read your words and laugh at your story. Thanks!

Mark said...

Kat - how touching to hear from a true Blog heroine of mine! Thanks so much!

Meg - it has been my goal to provide you with a daily chuckle since 1966. Maybe I missed a few days, but I always tried!

Anonymous said...

As a Towsonite, I am amused daily by the continual 'roadwork' on York Road; Burke/York intersection always has something wrong with it. We didn't need some study on how to make Towson more 'pedestrian' friendly, just keep the construction going & folks will avoid driving on Rt. 45.

Keep blogging Mark!

Pat said...

4 years removed from the traffic nightmares in Towson and lovin every minute of it. Makes me want to go back for old times sake. Hold on a minute----------------------------------I just took my meds - that feeling has passed.