Thursday, June 30, 2022

Too much

My fondness for red hot sauce is clear to see. I always reach for it in restaurants swanky and low-class. I've had most of the brands you see in the stores, but my favorite is Texas Pete. 

I too have pondered many a night weak and weary about people who are willing to have fried chicken or pork chops without dousing them in Texas Pete. It's just a must and it works to add a little heat and a little spice to any dish.

Notice, though, I said a little.

Which is my long-winded way of saying there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. There's a new version of Texas Pete, called Texas Pete Hotter Sauce. and a friend let me splash some on my dinner the other night and I was not thrilled with it. And it's not that it was too hot, per se, but the heat lingered even onto the next bite.  Too much. Still tasty, but overdoing it.

Oreos are perfect cookies, don't you think? Two wafers with a "creme" filling make the best sandwich. Double Stuff Oreos throw off the balance and make the cookie too "creme-y, " and now along comes this: the MOST stuf. That's too much stuf.

And it's not just making things bigger that messes them up. Tiny versions of candy like Snicker, and wee crackers like Mini-Ritz, do not work for me.

Everyone knows the famous plaid made by Burberry. The combination of khaki, black, red, and white in a glen plaid is known the world over as a base for scarves and
belts and the occasional cap. But they make entire suits and raincoats out of it, and what should be an accessory side dish becomes the overdone main course.

Look at how many athletes have played one season too many, how many TV series should have gone off a year ago (looking at you, Seinfeld) and how many authors decide throw some water in the soup pot and get one more meal out of it. 

But don't get your hopes up! I will keep pounding out this blog 7 days a week until the Tuesday past my last. 



No comments: