Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Planting an idea

There's a town called Sisters in Oregon, and the people out there are lucky enough to have a newspaper called the Nugget, and therein I found a nugget I wanted to share! I thought it might plant a seed.

A woman named Katie Diez lost her father, and she waited ten years to unbox his belongings that had been stored away. She thought it would be cool to take his old shirts and make a quilt, and so she did, and then...

She was going through the shirts, cutting them up, and found a tomato seed stuck to one of them. Without even thinking about it, she flicked the seed away and continued to work, but soon came to wish she hadn't been so hasty, because an idea was sprouting.

She continued working with the aged fabric and came across another seed, a sign from above if there ever was one. She jumped at the second chance. In her journal, she wrote:

"I find that I feel guilty when I don't use every scrap of fabric. Almost as if I'm wasting the animal I just shot," she wrote. "Planning the cuts feels like I'm field-dressing a deer, which is ironic - Dad was a hunter. I found another tomato seed. I had discarded the first one and regretted not trying to sprout it. I feel like I won the lottery finding ONE MORE seed! I'm soaking it and will try to plant it."


As it happened, her father was not only a hunter, but a gardener, as well as an avid consumer of tomatoes. The seed found purchase in soil.

"I've been nurturing it for the past two months and it's now four feet tall and growing tomatoes," she said. "And it was in a box stuck to a shirt for 10 years."

Through the fall and winter, she kept that sprout sprouting and had her family help her keep a Gro-Lite beamed on the plant.



And the tomatoes came along and the quilt will be here forever, and who knows how many more fertile seeds the fruits of it will bear?

Who knows what other surprises nature has for us, if we just open our eyes and hearts?


No comments: